THE TOOLS YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY TO THE NEXT LEVEL
Welcome to PhotographyTV.comâ€™s Resource Page, a curated list of all of the photography related resources that we use and recommend.
You can rest assured that we have tested, validated, and currently use every resource listed on this page.Â (links on this page are affiliate links which help support us through your purchases at no additional cost to you)
If you are getting started in photography, here is a list of the equipment we believe is needed to get you going. Any make or model will probably be sufficient, but I included some examples that I use for your reference.
- Camera – (DSLR or Mirror Less) â€“ most important thing is that you have the ability to take control of the settings â€“ I use the Nikon D3300 when I want to illustrate an entry level cameraâ€™s capabilities and it is featured in several videos for that purpose)
- Lenses – I recommend starting with a minimum of 2 zoom lenses (wide range and telephoto range). 50mm â€“ if you can afford an additional lens beyond the 2 listed above, I recommend getting a 50mm prime lens because it is the most cost effective way to get a lens with a low aperture, which can be a lot of fun.
- Tripod – try not to go too cheap on the tripod. Iâ€™ve used $20 tripods in the past that completely fell apart on me and thus limited the results I was able to get. Here is the tripod that I currently own and use.
- Bag – You definitely will want a bag that allows you to carry all of your gear in one place. I have a few different bags depending on the situation, but my primary bag that I use most of the time is this backpack. For the price, I have been very happy with it over the past several years.
I am often asked what gear I have in my bag.
- In addition, to the starter gear I referenced above, here is a list of gear that I regularly use.
NOTE: I spent more money on my photo gear than I spent on my car (I drive a 2008 Ford Focus that I bought used in 2010). However, I donâ€™t think you have to have this expensive of gear to get great results, which is why I occasionally use my Nikon D3300 in videos for examples.
Adobe is the industry leader when it comes to photography editing software. While Photoshop is a house hold name, they also create Adobe Lightroom, which is what I use for over 95% of my editing needs. Gain access to both Lightroom and Photoshop, along with other Adobe tools, through Adobeâ€™s Creative CloudÂ (affiliate link).
AdoramaPix will ensure that you get professional grade prints for the images you capture. Whether you are printing photo books, prints â€“ large or small, or greeting cards, AdoramaPix will ensure you get the best quality for your best images.
Sign up for our e-mail newsletter to stay up to date on all things PhotographyTV.com, and we will give you our free e-book that covers 10 Tips for Capturing the Best Images of Your Life. Click here to receive your free e-book.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which means that if you choose to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost toÂ you. Please understand that I have experience with all of these companies, and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.